U.S. Congressional District 14
Who represents Jackson Heights in the U.S. House of Representatives?
From its earliest days our neighborhood's 960 acres have been part of seven different Congressional Districts, New York's 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th, and today the 14th congressional district.
- 1 Map of Congressional District 14 - Details
- 2 Census Info - Resident and Voter Ethnic Breakdown
- 3 Voter Qualifications
- 4 Voter Registration Opportunities
- 5 Candidate Qualifications
- 6 Candidate Guide Book
- 7 Primary Election Candidates - 2020
- 8 Primary Election Issues - 2020
- 9 Primary Election Results - 2018
- 10 Incumbent
- 11 The 2018 Election
- 12 Related Wiki Pages
- 13 References
- 14 External Resources / Links
Map of Congressional District 14 - Details
Congressional District 14 stretches from mid-Queens, north through the Bronx, to the border of Westchester County. All residents living in Jackson Heights are in the 14th District. Also in the 14th district are some or all residents living in the Queens neighborhoods of College Point, Corona, Ditmars, East Elmhurst, Elmhurst, Flushing, Maspeth, Steinway, Sunnyside, and Woodside. And some or all residents living in the Bronx neighborhoods of City Island, Parkchester, Pelham, and Throgs Neck.
Do you live in District 14?
To see if you live in U.S. Congressional District 14, visit this Who Represents Me site.
Census Info - Resident and Voter Ethnic Breakdown
To vote in the 2018 election for a candidate to fill the seat representing Jackson Heights in the U.S. House of Representatives, one must meet the following:
- Live in Congressional District 14
- A U.S. Citizen
- A New York City resident for at least 30 days
- 18 years of age before the next election
- Not in prison for a felony conviction
- Do not claim the right to vote elsewhere
For more about the voter qualifications see the official city voter registration site here.
Voter Registration Opportunities
Download the application, complete the form, sign it, and mail it to:
- Board of Elections
- 32 Broadway, 7 Fl
- New York, NY 10004-1609
Your form must be delivered or mailed at least 25 days before the next election for it to be effective for that election.
Note: the Board of Elections cannot accept any kind of digital or Adobe-generated signature.
Register to vote in person in Queens at:
- 118-35 Queens Boulevard
- Forest Hills, NY 11375
- Tel: 1.718.730.6730
- Fax: 1.718.459.3384
- Hours of Operation – 9A.M.– 5 P.M.
If you have a valid ID from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, you can register to vote online. Go to this site operated by the NYS DMV to register online
Choosing Party Affiliations
The Voter registration application form contains a section where you can indicate your choice for party affiliation. If you indicate a party affiliation, you will be eligible to vote for the selected parties candidates in primaries. If you would like to register to vote, without designating a party, mark the space indicating "I do not wish to enroll in a party."
The following parties are recognized in New York State:
- Working Families
- Women's Equality
There are three, and only three, standing qualifications to serve as a U.S. Representative (or U.S. Senator) as expressly set out in the U.S. Constitution: 
- Age 25 (for the House, 30 for the Senate)
- Citizenship of at least seven years for the House (nine years for the Senate)
- Inhabitancy in the state at the time elected.
Power and Duties of a U.S. Representative
Powers of congress are broad and may be grouped into three categories:
Compensation, Allowances, Expenses
ARTICLE III, Section 6, of the NYS Constitution, specifies the following compensation, allowances, and expenses for state legislators:
- Members shall receive for his or her services a like annual salary. ($79,500 in 2018)
- Members shall also be reimbursed for actual traveling expenses in going to and returning from the place in which the legislature meets, not more than once each week while the legislature is in session. The 2018 rate was $175 per day, including overnight, or $59 a day without overnight.
- Senators, when the senate alone is convened in extraordinary session, or when serving as members of the court for the trial of impeachments, shall receive an additional per diem allowance.
- Senators serving as an officer or "in any other special capacity therein or directly connected therewith not hereinbefore in this section specified, may also be paid and receive, in addition, any allowance which may be fixed by law for the particular and additional services appertaining to or entailed by such office or special capacity."
Term In Office
Seats in the U.S. House of Representatives are filled for 2 year periods.
Candidate Guide Book
The NYC Board of Elections provides a guide book for candidates, see here.
Primary Election Candidates - 2020
Primary Election Issues - 2020
Primary Election Results - 2018
Statement and Return Report for Certification, 2018 Democratic primary - June 26, 2018
- Bronx Results
- Queens Results
Washington Office 229 CHOB Phone: (202) 225-3965 Fax:
The 2018 Election
Senate elections take place on even years. The next election will be held on November 6, 2018. Absentee ballots may be filed earlier.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- Joseph Crowley
One can look up the money raised, where it came from, money spent, etc. by each at this NYS Board of Elections site.
Voting Locations and Times
- Primary Election
- Voting locations
- Absentee ballots...
- General Election - November 6, 2018
- Voting locations
- Absentee ballots...
Related Wiki Pages
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Jackson Heights - the incumbent
- U.S. Congress Members Who Have Represented Jackson Heights
- , Congressional Research Service
External Resources / Links
- The Historical Atlas of the United States Congressional Districts, 1789-1983 by Kenneth Martis
- The New York Civil List by Franklin Hough
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Voteview shows who represented every address or zipcode in the U.S. through our nation's history
- Wikipedia page for the 14th District
- Who Represents Me?.
- Census Info for the 14th
- Download the voter registration application.