Tenant Rights

From JacksonHeights.nyc
Jump to navigation Jump to search

It is illegal for building owners to force tenants to leave their apartments or surrender their rights. If you are a tenant in an apartment in the City who is being harassed by your landlord, you can get information and help. You may be eligible for free or low-cost legal assistance.

Harassment of tenants by landlords or owners can include:

  • Not offering leases or lease renewals, or repeatedly trying to pay you to move out.
  • Unjustified eviction notices or illegal lockouts.
  • Threats and intimidation, such as late-night phone calls.
  • Overcharging for a rent-regulated apartment.
  • Failure to provide necessary repairs or utilities.
  • Deliberately causing construction-related problems for tenants, such as working after hours, blocking entrances, or failing to remove excessive dust or debris.

Report a Complaint[edit]

Report dangerous conditions or lack of services by calling 311. Find more tenant resources here. Seek Legal Assistance

New York City continues to provide free legal service assistance for qualified tenants throughout the City. Residents can call 311 for more information.

Mayor de Blasio has created a program to provide legal assistance to tenants who are being harassed by landlords who are trying to take advantage of zoning changes by getting rid of tenants. If you are a resident of one of the zip codes listed below, you can reach the New York City Tenant Protection Hotline by calling 311.

  • Bronx: 10452 and 10453
  • Brooklyn: 11207, 11208, 11212, and 11233
  • Manhattan: 10029 and 10035
  • Queens: 11101, 11354, and 11358
  • Staten Island: 10301 and 10304

Contact New York State Homes and Community Renewal (HCR)

If you live in a rent-controlled or rent-stabilized apartment, you can get more information about tenant harassment online at www.nyshcr.org or by calling 311.

External Links[edit]