|JacksonHeights.nyc establish structure for this wiki and for other elements of the JacksonHeights.nyc Initiative. That being said, thoughts about this page from general users are most welcomed.|
This "work" page's focus is on raising project revenue. It is not a typical information page.
Our presumption is that during the formative years the vast majority of the labor will be provided by volunteers: Connecting.nyc Inc.'s board, staff, volunteers, partner organizations, and most importantly neighborhood residents. We project out-of-pocket expenses of $4,000 during the initial term of the city’s licensing agreement (3 years). This will cover acquisition related expenses and recurring costs for the domain name, hosting, and software licenses.
As we transition JacksonHeights.nyc’s control and operation to a independent, locally controlled entity we expect transition costs of $2,000 (it cost about $1,000 to form a NYS not for profit).
After governance, perhaps the most challenging task of the JacksonHeights.nyc Initiative will be providing ongoing operating revenue. Several possibilities are in sight:
- Memberships - from gratis to $100 per year.
- Donations - user donations to a max of $100.
- Foundation grants - from local organizations and foundations.
- Corporate grants - will be considered for research and development projects.
- Government grants - small grants ($3-10K) for historic district development.
- Third level domain name sales - A little explored area, the sale of third level domain name, e.g., restaurants.jacksonheights.nyc, might be perfect for a neighborhood.
- Advertising - We are limited by the city license agreement, but if it serves the neighborhood, potential exists.
Additionally, we will advocate that the city acknowledge the benefits (including revenue from name sales) provided by the .nyc TLD, and contribute to a collaborative Neighborhood Development Fund, with proceeds shared by neighborhood name developers and used to develop interactive services.
Memberships range from gratis (just complete a membership form) to $100 per year for a SUPERSPONSOR stastus. See this Membership Form for details.