Maps will soon be everywhere on the Jackson Heights Wiki as virtually every page has a physical location within the neighborhood. Here we present a collection of maps and plans for the mapping of the neighborhood.
The following map is maintained by the Open Street Map Foundation. Open Street Map is a collaboration like Wikipedia.
These maps are discussed in some detail on our Boundaries page.
Historic Maps of Jackson Heights
Here we provide descriptions and links to historic maps of the area now called Jackson Heights. Known as Newtown until 1906, the area was renamed Elmhurst until Edward A. MacDougall's land purchases and founding of Jackson Heights.
- 1776 - New York Public Library - Above is "A plan of New York Island, with part of Long Island, Staten Island & east New Jersey : with a particular description of the engagement on the woody heights of Long Island, between Flatbush and Brooklyn, on the 27th of August 1776 between His Majesty's fo "
- 1828 - Map of the counties of New York, Queens, Kings, and Richmond. From An atlas of the state of New York, designed for the use of engineers, containing a map of the state and of the several counties. / Projected and drawn ... under the superintendence and direction of Simeon de Witt. (In 1 layer) Depicts: 1829
- 1852 - Detailed map of area now called Jackson Heights in 1852 Map of Kings and parts of Queens. Title: Map of Kings and part of Queens counties, Long Island N.Y. Contributor Names: Conner, R. F. O., Dripps, M. (Matthew), Korff Brothers. Created / Published: N. York [New York] : Published by M. Dripps, 1852, N.Y. [New York] : Engraved & printed by Korff Brothers.
- 1860 - Higginson's Map of Brooklyn and Queens From Library of Congress 
- 1868 - Plan of New York and Brooklyn. (Atlas of New York and vicinity ... by F.W. Beers ... published by Beers, Ellis & Soule, New York, 1868) from Rumsey Collection.
- 1923 - Ariel Map from New York Public Library.
Future Maps/GIS Plans
As noted at the top of this page, maps will eventually be everywhere on the Jackson Heights Wiki as virtually every page relates a physical location within the neighborhood. Our hopes are that an intern beginning in the Fall 2017 will start maps rolling.