Jackson Heights People for Public Schools
Jackson Heights People for Public Schools works to educate the community about the public schools in Jackson Heights and to support parents and members of the community who wish to make our schools even better.
Why Choose a Local Public School?
Jackson Heights People for Public Schools (JHPPS) advances the following reasons for choosing a public school for your child. 
1. The public schools in the Jackson Heights area are very good. They receive high scores from the NYC Department of Education and parents who choose local public schools generally like them. Many of our schools offer strong music and arts programs, dual-language bilingual programs, and have beautiful classrooms and computer facilities.
2. Teachers at our schools tend to stay, so they have years of experience, a strong factor in student success.
3. Being able to walk or bike to school creates a lot less stress on children and family life, provides opportunity for exercise, and saves commute time and money,
4. Positive values are fostered in children when they learn and play with the people in their community. Research shows that schools integrated by ethnicity and income benefit all children, including students from higher-income families.
5. Parent involvement is key to student and school success. It is so much easier for parents to be involved when the school is nearby.
6. Private interests currently seek to end our public education system. Hedge fund managers see great profit to be made in education. Some cities have largely dismantled their public education system (New Orleans, Philadelphia). A democratic society requires a strong public education system that is integrated- especially by income. Choosing and supporting a local public school is part of defending public education for all children and for our children’s future.
JHPPS advocates attending zoned public schools. It maintains a website with research options.
- The Jackson Heights People for Public Schools' website.
- Sign up to receive email notifications from JHPPS.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Related Wiki Pages
- , JHPPS Website