Jackson Heights Filmmakers
The (then) reasonable Jackson Heights housing prices enticed several young filmmakers and related creative types to move to neighborhood in the early 2000's. And more recently, being home to the Jackson Heights based Queens World Film Festival and its ancillary initiatives, such as the Young Filmmakers Program, it should be no surprise that our neighborhood is increasingly becoming home to more filmmakers, some of whom are listed below.
- Adam Bradley - Actor, writer, producer (along with his wife Amelia Mathews). Adam and his wife Amelia have been making shorts and features together since 2012 under their banner Well Drawn Dog, with their film "RSVP" winning Best Comedy Short at the 2016 QWFF and Calvin Smith winning Best Actor in a short for "Better Man". Most recently, their feature-length sci-fi drama "Yesterday last year" has been making the sci-fi festival rounds, playing at Sci-Fi-London, at Roswell Sci-Fi and at Other Worlds Austin Orbiter series.
- Don Cato - Actor, director, producer, and writer Don Cato is perhaps best known for his 2006 Be My Oswald. Don is a co-founder of the Queens World Film Festival and a mentor with QWFF's Young Filmmakers program.
- Seth Fein - SevenLocalFilm is home to Seth's filmmaking endeavors.His experimental documentary Between Neighborhoods, about the history that orbits the Unisphere, won the Founders Choice Award for documentary at the 2017 Queens World Film Festival.
- Issa Ibrahim - Artist, musician, writer produced an experimental short for Queens Museum of the Arts in 2002, his 2015 musical documentary "Patient's Rites"(assisted by his muse Susan Spangenberg) made the festival rounds, spotlit at the Au Contraire Film Festival in Montreal and was embraced by the mental health community.
- Aaron Lehmann - Writer, director, producer at Lehmann Film Productions. His short film "Violetta", which was filmed entirely in Jackson Heights, is an official selection of the 2018 Queens World Film Festival].
- Elizabeth Pasieczny - Writer, director specializing in the family genre at Pickleman Productions.
- Will Sweeney - In addition to his recent Back on Board about diver Greg Louganis, Will Sweeney is known for his work on The Royal Tenenbaums (2001), Rounders (1998) and The Cider House Rules (1999).
- Queens World Film Festival's page on the Jackson Heights wiki.
- Friday Night @ The Movies - A proposal for a neighborhood gathering of filmmakers on the Jackson Heights Filmmakers Discussion page.