The JacksonHeights.nyc Initiative is an education, planning, and development effort working to prepare the neighborhood for changes that arise from a world increasingly shaped by digital technologies. Its premise is that today's society requires Internet access and strong user skills for civic participation, acquiring an education, finding a job, accessing public information... And while the Initiative's genesis arises from digital change, the tools and capabilities can assist with all manner of society's needs.
One Initiative goal is to organize a new, broadly representative, locally controlled, nonprofit to take responsibility for the effort by 2020. These "work" pages describe and follow the Initiative's inner workings, with the Governance Process page focused on the 2020 transition.
The following fall within the Initiative's scope:
- Operating JacksonHeights.nyc, its wiki, and other digital resources.
- Training residents in editing and using these resources.
- Developing features that empower residents to plan and organize to shape the neighborhood's future.
- Advocating and educating to assure that all residents have Internet Access.
- Informing neighborhood residents and organizations about opportunities presented by digital technologies.