|This is a "work page" not a typical information page. It is intended to guide administrators, managers, and operators to plan and establish structure for this wiki and JacksonHeights.nyc.|
The JacksonHeights.nyc Initiative is an education, planning, and development effort working to prepare the neighborhood for changes that arise from a world increasingly shaped by digital technologies. Its premise is that today's society requires Internet access and strong user skills for civic participation, acquiring an education, finding a job, accessing public information...
The initial plans for the effort can be found in the application for the city licensed JacksonHeights.nyc domain name submitted by the local nonprofit Connecting.nyc Inc. in September 2016. One Initiative goal is to organize a new, broadly representative nonprofit, to take responsibility for the effort by 2020.
The following fall within the Initiative's scope:
- Operating JacksonHeights.nyc, its wiki, and other digital resources.
- Training residents in editing and using these resources.
- Developing features that empower residents to plan and organize to shape the neighborhood's future.
- Advocating and educating to assure that all residents have Internet Access.
- Informing neighborhood residents and organizations about opportunities presented by digital technologies.