|JacksonHeights.nyc establish structure for this wiki and for other elements of the JacksonHeights.nyc Initiative. That being said, thoughts about this page from general users are most welcomed.|
The JacksonHeights.nyc Initiative is an education, planning, and development effort working to prepare the neighborhood for changes that arise from a world increasingly shaped by digital technologies.
Its premise is that today's society requires Internet access and strong user skills to access public information and participate in civic life, acquire an education, and find a job.
The initiative seeks to assist with all manner of society's needs: connecting residents via new networks, strengthening community via collaboration tools, and creating a trustable resource for neighborhood decision making.
One key task to take place in parallel to initialing the Layer Cake (see graphic) is organizing a new, broadly representative, locally controlled, nonprofit to take responsibility for the effort by 2020. See the Governance Process page for more on that 2020 transition.
The following fall within the JacksonHeights.nyc Initiative's scope:
- Operating JacksonHeights.nyc, its wiki, and other digital resources.
- Training residents in editing and using these resources.
- Developing features that empower residents to plan and organize to effectively shape the neighborhood's future.
- Advocating and educating to assure that all residents have Internet Access.
- Informing neighborhood residents and organizations about opportunities presented by digital technologies.
- Creating a trustable resource for neighborhood decision making.
Other "Work" Pages
- Administrative Matters
- Appropriate Content
- Governance Process
- Outreach Projects
- Project Revenue
- Real Names
- To Do List