This Jackson Heights Wiki is the information archive for the JacksonHeights.nyc Initiative. The Initiative's mission is to support and foster education, planning, design, and development efforts that enable the neighborhood to flourish in a world increasingly shaped by digital technologies.
We believe today's society requires Internet access and strong user skills for civic participation, for finding a job, accessing public services, and shaping the neighborhood's future.
The Initiative's plans can be found in the application for the city-licensed domain JacksonHeights.nyc as submitted by the local not for profit Connecting.nyc Inc. in September 2016.
One key initiative goal is to organize a new, independent, broadly representative not for profit, to govern the effort by 2020. Read more about this on our Governance Process page.
In 2014 the city of New York reserved roughly 400 neighborhood names as online hubs for information sharing, civic engagement, economic development, and organizing. To be eligible for a .nyc neighborhood name, the city required that the lead organization meet the following minimum qualifications: (a) be registered as a nonprofit public benefit corporation, or local development corporation, and (b) headquartered within the neighborhood for which a .nyc domain was sought.
Connecting.nyc Inc. met these qualifications and was granted a license for Jackson Heights.nyc in November 2016. The license application for the JacksonHeights.nyc neighborhood domain as approved by the city is available here.
The following fall within the Initiative's scope:
- Operate the Jackson Heights Wiki, a baseline for neighborhood assets and memory, and related online resources.
- Train residents in using and editing the wiki.
- Encourage residents to use the wiki as their source for local information.
- Provide features that empower residents to plan and organize to shape the neighborhood's future.
- Advocate and educate to assure that all residents have effective Internet Access.
- Inform neighborhood residents and organization about opportunities presented by digital technologies.
See the JacksonHeights.nyc Layer Cake graphic at right for a depiction of the initiative as layers to be addressed in the coming years. The cake's goal, if cakes can have goals, might be described as adding intelligence and community to the neighborhood. As of this August 2017 posting, we estimate that Layer 3, the wiki, is perhaps 1% complete. Help out. Share what you know!
Origin and Future
The Jackson Heights Wiki was formed by Connecting.nyc Inc., a Jackson Heights based NYS nonprofit founded in April 2006, to advance the development of the .nyc TLD (top level domain) as a public interest resource. With the city of New York's acquisition of .nyc in 2012 and the TLD's activation in 2014, Connecting's mission morphed to roles that now include:
- Advocating at city hall and elsewhere for the development of the .nyc TLD as a public interest resource.
- Advising cities globally through its special consultative status at the United Nations (i.e., Connecting.nyc Inc. is an NGO) on the potential utility of city-TLDs.
- Advancing the interests of individual Internet users to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) through its status as an At-Large Structure within ICANN.
- The planning, design, and development of the JacksonHeights.nyc domain.
Connecting.nyc Inc.'s application for the city license to develop the JacksonHeights.nyc domain included a commitment to transition control to an independent nonprofit in three years. Follow that effort on the Governance process page. Learn more about the Connecting.nyc Inc. here.
Related "Work" Pages
- Administrative Matters
- Appropriate Content
- Governance Process
- Outreach Projects
- Project Revenue