In Jackson Heights (film)
In Jackson Heights is a 2015 documentary film about the communities of Jackson Heights, Queens, New York City directed by Frederick Wiseman. The film received widespread critical acclaim and is widely regarded as one of the best documentary released in the 21th century. In 2017, the film was considered the thirteenth ""Best Film of the 21st Century So Far" by The New York Times.
The film documents events in Jackson Heights including "a Muslim school, a Jewish center, a meeting of gay and transgender people, a City Council office and the local headquarters of Make the Road New York, an activist organization dedicated to Latino and working-class people."
In Jackson Heights has received positive reviews from critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gives the film an approval rating of 95%, based on 39 reviews, with an average rating of 8.3/10. On Metacritic, the film has a score of 81 out of 100, based on 12 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
In a review for the Los Angeles Times, Michael Phillips wrote that "True to Wiseman's form, In Jackson Heights contains no on-screen identification of camera subjects, no voice-over narration and little in the way of overt polemics. By the end, you arrive at the essential paradox found in every Wiseman portrait: a clear sense of just how cloudy our world and our environments have become." Writing for The New York Times, Manohla Dargis stated that "Mr. Wiseman’s latest documentary is a movingly principled, political look at a dynamic neighborhood in which older waves of pioneers make room for new, amid creeping gentrification."
|Chicago International Film Festival||Best Documentary||Frederick Wiseman||Nominated|
|Cinema Eye Honors||Outstanding Achievement in Direction||Frederick Wiseman||Nominated|
|Indiewire Critics' Poll||Best Documentary||3rd Place|
|International Cinephile Society Awards||Best Documentary||2nd Place|
|International Online Cinema Awards||Best Documentary||Frederick Wiseman||3rd Place|
|BFI London Film Festival||Documentary Film||Frederick Wiseman||Nominated|
|National Society of Film Critics Awards||Best Non-Fiction Film||2nd Place|
|New York Film Critics Circle Awards||Best Non-Fiction Film||Template:Won|
|Venice International Film Festival||Queer Lion||Nominated|
|Village Voice Film Poll||Best Documentary||4th Place|
As of 4 November 2016, the film has grossed $121,094 at the box office.
- "IN JACKSON HEIGHTS (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 8 July 2017.
- "In Jackson Heights 2015". Metacritic. Retrieved 8 July 2017.
- Dargis, Manohla; Scott, A.O. "The 25 Best Films of the 21st Century...So Far". The New York Times. Retrieved 8 July 2017.
- Dargis, Manohla (3 November 2016). "Review: ‘In Jackson Heights,’ an Ode to the Immigrant Experience". The New York Times. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- Phillips, Michael (10 December 2015). "Review 'In Jackson Heights' gives everyone their say in the multi-ethnic Queens neighborhood". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- Bradshaw, Peter (6 September 2015). "In Jackson Heights review—immersive documentary brings diverse New York City community alive". The Guardian. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Awards". IMDB. Retrieved 9 July 2017.
- "9TH ANNUAL CINEMA EYE". Cinema Eye Honors. Retrieved 9 July 2017.
- "Carol Takes the Driver’s Seat at 2016 ICS Award Nominations". ICS Film. Retrieved 8 July 2017.
- "International Online Cinema Awards (INOCA)". IMDB. Retrieved 8 July 2017.
- "The 59th BFI London Film Festival in partnership with American Express® announces full 2015 programme". British Film Institute. Retrieved 9 July 2017.
- "Awards for 2015 films". National Society of Film Critics. Retrieved 9 July 2017.
- "2015 Awards". NYFCC. Retrieved 9 July 2017.
- "In Jackson Heights". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 3 November 2016.