|This page is a stub - it contains too little information to provide an adequate awareness of the page's topic. Please help improve the Jackson Heights wiki by expanding it.|
The Greystones completed in 1918, on 80th Street between 35th and 37th Avenues were originally known as the Garden Apartments.
The architect George H. Wells designed the Greystones, for which the Queensboro Corporation coined the name "garden apartment" to convey the concept of apartments surrounded by a green environment. With abundant land available, all unused space was used for parks and gardens, or for recreational areas that included a golf course. This was used in initial marketing efforts, although later much of the land was built upon.Template:Sfn In 1919 the Corporation introduced the concept of cooperative ownership to strengthen the sense of community.
The name was changed to Greystone when the garden apartment term became generic.