The Internet was built by collaborators who imagined it a neighborly effort, one that would be used by responsible adults. They were not aware that it would serve as the backbone for a global communications network, and that Beelzebub and Godzilla would have ready access.
The blockchain technology offers a workaround to some security lapses in today's Net with benefits to identity, trust, organization, civic development, and more - see the Layer Cake 2 graphic. Coherently introduced, blockchain offers a stabilizing and empowering foundation plank for the creation of a healthier neighborhood.
The Blockchain and Jackson Heights
We are currently using the collaborative MediaWiki software as an information baseline or foundation for local decision making. We anticipate adding blockchain technology to facilitate an identity system that will foster accountability and the development of trust.
- With trust, residents can more readily add community to the neighborhood.
- With trust, residents can participate in believable voting.
- With trust, we can create a neighborhood currency.
- With trust, we can use this currency to foster civic engagement.
- With trust, we can use this currency to enable neighborhood media.
The category links at this page's bottom connect to wiki pages that ponder the use of blockchain technology to better Jackson Heights.
One of the initial areas where the blockchain can benefit is in providing a trusted identity with advantages in:
- General Trust
Possible providers include Blockstack, Solid, and uPort.
As of the Spring 2018, the tech package enabling this initiative will include:
- Steemit - A cryptocurrency based on Steem blockchain. Think Reddit but with user recompense. Upon signup one is given some tokens.
- Core Ethereum with proof of stake
See the Membership Form.
- JHBG and other civic organizations
- Jackson Heights Jewish Center and others attending to the spirit
- 82nd Street BID and other local businesses
- Traditional and new media advocates
- Residents, through the creation of a trustable local medium
- A blockchain primer from New York Times - This explains the weakness of today's Internet and how blockchain technology can mend gaps.
- Identity and the blockchain in this Internet Society sponsored paper.
- Blockchain & Society Policy Research Lab
- Civic is an ethereum based project that has created a Secure Identity Platform. A resident / business can set up a unique identity for themselves on Civic. Using this digital identity , a user can log into his or her account and perform various functions.
- Tether USD Wallet Creating a neighborhood currency can be achieved by creating an ethereum based token.
Pages With Topic Relevance
Pages in category "Blockchain"
The following 11 pages are in this category, out of 11 total.