American Legion, Elmhurst-Jackson Heights, NY Post 298
|This page is a stub - it contains too little information to provide an adequate awareness of the page's topic. Please help improve the Jackson Heights wiki by expanding it.|
The American Legion, Elmhurst-Jackson Heights, NY Post 298 was formed in 1919.
The Elmhurst-Jackson Heights, NY Post 298 of the American Legion (originally known as the East Elmhurst Post 98) was formed in 1919 at a ceremony held at the East Elmhurst Club on Ditmars Boulevard. At that 1919 meeting Edward J. Neary was installed to temporarily fill the position as the Post's first Commander. Also sworn in were Joseph Keleher as adjutant, with Miss Ruth E. Manning as finance officer. A Ladies Auxiliary, with Mrs. Frances McNally appointed temporary chairman, was formed that same evening. Among those in attendance was Rev. Ward Meehan, pastor of St. Joan of Arc Church and chaplain of the Queens County Branch of the American Legion.
In 1926 Commander John Barnes requested that relatives and friends of all deceased veterans send the veterans name, the war they died in, and their final resting place to the Graves Registration Committee, Veterans Room, Queens County Courthouse, Long Island City.
In 1926 a film, Leo Lasko's two-part The World War, was shown in the auditorium of P.S. 127. Commander Creston Laager (a Lieutenant during the war) introduced the film noting:
"One great lesson of the war which I fear is being lost is the value of preparedness. Ten years ago we entered the conflict totally unprepared, fortunate to have such allies as France and England between the enemy and ourselves. The gesture of the Mexican mobilization made our military power look ridiculous. After one year of supreme effort our armies took the field with rifles of English design, French artillery, British grenades, French airplanes and so on. Most people believe in insuring their homes and lives, but how many take any interest in insuring their nation against harm? Yet the downfall of the nation would probably involve the loss of property and even life."
On February 16, 1928 new officers were installed with Joseph Keleher as Commander. During the war Keleher served with distinction in the 102nd Engineers (27th Division). He was wounded in battle at the Hindenburg line, France. John Barnes, the retiring Commander was commended for upbuilding the post.
In 1928, at the conclusion of a Memorial Day parade, a roll call of the hero dead was called (see Discussion page). Those called were:
- William McNamee
- Thomas Holger
- Wolfgang Lowe
- John H. Schmidt - Private Schmidt died on October1, 1925 from wounds received while in the service.
- Martin McGuffog, Ensign
- Leif Barclay
In 1929 Walter Becker was sworn in a post Commander.
- Sponsored post baseball and bowling teams in the 1920s.
- Contributed to the development of the ElmJack Little League Field
Post Commander 2017: Rev. John Palidoro
35-35 75th Street
Jackson Heights, NY 11372