History of JacksonHeights.nyc
This page presents major developments relating to JacksonHeights.nyc.
- April 19, 2001 - Queens Community Board 3 (representing Jackson Heights) passes Internet Empowerment Resolution calling for the acquisition and development of the .nyc TLD as a public interest resource. Soon Councilmember John Sabini, Congressman Joe Crowley, and Borough President Helen Marshall endorse.
- 2002 - City declines to apply for .nyc TLD citing limited capacity in post 9/11 world and preference to invest its limited resources in a bid for the 2012 Olympics.
- 2005 - City again declines to apply for .nyc TLD citing lack of need as the city had access to nyc.gov.
- 2006 - City declines to apply for the third time, again citing lack of need and access to nyc.gov. (Our "but what about the rest of us" plea fell on deaf ears.)
- April 2006 - Conforming to Internet Empowerment Resolution, nonprofit Connecting.nyc Inc. formed to apply for .nyc TLD.
- July 2008 - ICANN decides cities are eligible to receive TLDs.
- October 17, 2008 - City Council holds hearing on .nyc TLD.
- February 12, 2009 - Speaker of City Council announces support for .nyc acquisition.
- 2010 - Connecting.nyc Inc. announces support of city acquisition, but advocates that public be involved in planning process.
- June 12, 2012 - City of New York submits application for the .nyc TLD to ICANN
- March 22, 2013 - At urging of Connecting.nyc Inc., Mayor's .NYC Community Advisory Board formed by Mayor Mike Bloomberg.
- March 20, 2014 - ICANN delegates .nyc to the City of New York.
- April 2014 - Facing the threat of the city selling neighborhood domain names to the highest bidder(s), Queens Community Board 3 passes resolution calling for the acquisition and development of the neighborhood domain names as a public interest resources. City supports resolution and sets aside 384 names as public interest resources.
- January 1, 2015 - Mayor's .NYC Community Advisory Board abolished.
- November 16, 2016 - Connecting.nyc Inc. granted license to develop the JacksonHeights.nyc domain.
- February 13, 2017 - First wiki page created on wiki.JacksonHeights.nyc.
- February 16, 2017 - First public presentation of JacksonHeights.nyc's plans before New Visions Democratic Club.
- December 13, 2018 - This "History" begun.